Saturday, October 12, 2019

Ho'olaule'a Monsterra

Ho'olaule'a in Hawaii is a fun festive gathering of family and friends. It can be a gathering of ohana, or even a huge community festival! There's music, and food, laugher, and fun!

Bill and I have often enjoyed going to the Ho'olaule'a at Uncle Roberts in Kalapana. This Wednesday evening gathering is enjoyed by both locals and visitors alike! The Kalapana Band plays, there is dancing, a Kava bar, and FOOD! The pathway is lined with food vendors. You can find anything from pulled pork sandwiches, French crepes, Filipino Lumpia, Mochi and more!! It's always hard to decide what we will eat, but we do have some favorites. I never miss Bananarama Bakery and the delicious cakes and desserts!

AND, as a side note. If you visit Uncle Roberts in Kalapana, at the back of the parking lot you will see "House Of Fire". It is a wonderful Art Gallery featuring, not only the beautiful pottery work of the two owners, but also artwork from many local artists. I have artwork for sale in this gallery.



This painting is a part of a series I am doing titled "Ho'olaulea" because they are bright, fun and festive. Created with fluid acrylics, they feature subtle textures, fun colors (a bit of the Bohemian in me comes out) and a unique abstract feel.

This one features a Monsterra leaf - often called a swiss cheese leaf for it's unique holes and patterns. They are HUGE leaves... and even flower and fruit! However, the fruit is a bit scary to me... as it can be deadly if eaten before it's ripe. I have yet to try it, though I am tempted because it apparently tastes wonderful!

The original painting is done on a canvas panel. It is 5"x7", but we do have larger prints for sale. Watch for prints available in my Etsy Shop, but better yet, visit one of the Art Galleries where my art is for sale on Big Island Hawaii!

A hui hou



No comments:

Post a Comment