Monday, September 9, 2019

Maku'u Friend

Maku'u Friend - Original Watercolor (c) Melanie Pruitt
The green sea turtle, known as a Honu in Hawaii, is an iconic figure for the Hawaiian Islands. What a thrill it is for visitors to see them close to shore and to swim with them in the shallow waters of our reefs.

Honu are an endangered species and protected. I am often dismayed to see tourists chasing down turtles trying to touch them or feed them. For those excited to see honu, like I am, be content with keeping your distance. When swimming, just relax, the turtles will approach if they are comfortable.

I love swimming and snorkeling with turtles. They bob and glide and look so effortless in their movements. And yet, if you've ever seen them swim past you, you know how agile they are and how quickly they can move!

But, I also love to watch them from the black lava cliffs on the East side of Hawaii Island. One of my favorite spots is Maku'u point where I love to walk the lava cliffs. After walking for a bit, I will often find a spot to sit at the edge of the cliff and stare out at the ocean, quieting my heart and mind. It's the perfect spot to take time to meditate and reflect.

Maku'u Point (c) Melanie Pruitt
I enjoy the solitude, but I am never alone. There is always a honu, or two or five to enjoy! At first, they are difficult to spot. But take the time to watch and you begin seeing them surfing the waves, or popping their heads up for a big breath of air before heading down to partake in their favorite meal - limu (red seaweed) The longer I sit and watch, the more of them I see!

I titled this original watercolor, "Maku'u Friend". It takes us on an imaginary dive down into the waters with them as they gracefully navigate the ocean.

This is an original watercolor painting using a variety of texturing techniques and some wonderful granulating watercolor paints to create a bright colorful, textured, underwater scene.

Be sure to look for Maku'u Friend prints when visiting any of the Art Galleries where my art can be found. Prints are available on archival watercolor paper, as well as beautiful mounted aluminum prints, and stretched canvas giclee prints. You can also purchase prints in my Etsy Shop.



Live Aloha!

A Hui Hou






No comments:

Post a Comment