Wednesday, March 4, 2020

My Personality in my Art

How does an artist find "their style"? If you study the lives of even famous, recognizable artists, like Van Gogh or Degas, you will find paintings that don't look like the typical art you expect to see from them.

Sometimes, this is because they are early works. It takes a lot of time for an artist to both develop skill, and put themselves into their work, rather than "copying" the styles they've been taught.

Skill and knowledge is important for a good artist. But so is personality and soul.

Another reason you can find a variety of styles and media done by a single artist is that artists pour themselves into their pieces. And every person I know has a multitude of aspects to their personality that don't ALL come out in EVERY painting!

I am a great example of that. After a long journey of learning technique I am finally to a wonderful place where I can express my personality in my art.


I am serious, and focused. You can see this part of my personality reflected in my serious study of watercolor. My watercolor paintings take the most time. I carefully add glaze after glaze, blending colors to achieve an effortless look. The finishing touches to bring it "to life" can days, and sometimes weeks.







I am also playful, fun loving, and free spirited! My playful side loves both color, and partially abstract art. After a serious focused watercolor, I feel a little like a child who is ready for recess. I need to play!! I need to run outside, throw my arms out, twirl and laugh! Thus, my "Ho'olaule'a" series was born! These paintings have also included a journey of studying technique, but when I create these paintings, I just feel like I am having fun and letting loose!


Another part of my personality feels things deeply and expresses feeling in everything I do.  I am touched deeply by the earth and creation around me. I continually marvel at the skies here in Hawaii. My heart leaps as I see the wildlife. I get so excited counting all the shades of blue in the ocean water. Every morning before the sun has risen, I open my bedroom window to take in the smells of the Hawaii air because it makes my heart soar! It wakes me up and prepares me for the day better than coffee!
I am an expressionist painter.

My Hawaii Nei paintings aren't about technique. They are about feeling. Each one is a bit different. It's all about something that has touched me, something that has made my imagination soar... something that speaks "Hawaii".

It's so tempting for us, as artists, to stuff or squelch an aspect of our personality in favor of producing what is "popular". We are all, as professional artists, wanting to make a living. But we all also need to be ourselves. This is why you will see a variety of painting styles for any artist you enjoy. We all want to paint what sells... but we also all need to express our true selves through our art!


No comments:

Post a Comment