Monday, August 19, 2019

Signature Symbol

You may notice that many of the art pieces are signed with my name and this symbol...
and you may be wondering what it means! Every piece of art I create here in Hawaii will have this symbol on it.

I thought long and hard about a symbol I wanted to use in conjunction with my signature. This is a combination of two things.

First, the top part is a Koru. It's a Maori symbol fashioned after the coil of a new fern stem. I shaped mine to look like the Uluhe fern which is native and grows all over Hawaii. (I also liked that it kind of looks like a P for my last name)

I chose the Koru shape based on its meaning. It typically represents new life, a fresh start or new beginnings. But it also represents tranquility, and spirituality.

Having moved from the Pacific NW to Hawaii, I have been give a fresh new start. I left a life of being so sick, I rarely left home and often spent hours in bed. Something about Hawaii reduces the severity of my illness. I am alive again! My life has re-started!

Not only has it revived my body, the 'aina (land) brings my heart such tranquility and peace. My spiritual heart is awake and I meet Ke Akua (God) every day with anticipation at what I will taught, how I will be loved, and especially what part of His beautiful creation I will get to enjoy.

At the bottom of my Koru to complete my art symbol, you see 3 dots. These represent the parts of my God - The Father who loves me, Jesus who brings me to the Father and walks with me daily, and the Holy Spirit who reveals beauty and wisdom to me. The 3 dots also represent the three important aspects of the meaning of the Koru - new life, tranquility and spirituality.

A Hui Hou



No comments:

Post a Comment